King Age II and you will King Victoria is the a few longest-serving monarchs in Uk record. Victoria, just who reigned out of 1837 so you can 1901, built some of the precedents one Age has honored due to the fact she is actually crowned for the 1952. How could be the several effective queens associated? Preciselywhat are their family our website ties?
Whenever she was born on may twenty four, 1819, few people consider Alexandrina Victoria do 1 day feel queen. Her dad, Prince Edward, are the newest 4th in-line to succeed his dad, the new reigning King George III. Inside 1818, the guy marry Princess Victoria out-of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, a beneficial widowed German little princess that have a couple people. Its only guy, Victoria, came into this world next season.
Towards Jan. 23, 1820, Edward died, and come up with Victoria last lined up. Merely weeks later, to your The month of january. 31, King George III died, is succeeded by the his kid George IV. As he died when you look at the 1830, the next in-line, Frederick, got currently passed away, so the crown ran William, Victoria’s youngest bro. Queen William IV governed until he died without lead heirs in 1837, only weeks shortly after Victoria, the heir-noticeable, turned into 18. She was crowned with the Summer 28, 1838.
Conventions of the time were the king must have an effective queen and you will consort, and her maternal cousin ended up being trying fits the girl having Prince Albert away from Saxe-Coburg and you can Gotha (Aug. twenty-six, 1819 to Dec. 14, 1861), an effective German prince who had been along with regarding her. Once a short courtship, the 2 had been marry with the Feb. 10, 1840. Prior to Albert’s death inside the 1861, the 2 got nine pupils. Included in this, Edward VII, turned into the fresh queen of good Britain. This lady most other youngsters create ilies away from Germany, Sweden, Romania, Russia, and you may Denmark.
Queen Elizabeth II
E Alexandra Mary of the home off Windsor was born towards April 21, 1926 towards Duke and you can Duchess away from York. Elizabeth, called “Lilibet” since a kid, got that younger cousin, ). When she was created, E was 3rd in-line so you can their grandfather’s throne, trailing the girl dad and his awesome older sibling, Edward, new Prince of Wales.
When King George V, child out-of Edward VII, passed away from inside the 1936, the fresh new crown visited Elizabeth’s buddy Edward, however, he abdicated so you’re able to erican. Elizabeth’s dad became King George VI. Their dying towards the Feb. 6, 1952 removed the way in which getting Elizabeth to progress him, and get Britain’s first queen as Queen Victoria.
Elizabeth’s Members of the family
Elizabeth and her future husband, Prince Philip away from Greece and Denmark (June 10, 1921) satisfied from time to time just like the people. They were hitched on Nov. 20, 1947. Philip, who had renounced his foreign titles, grabbed the fresh new surname Mountbatten and you may turned into Philip, Duke from Edinburgh. Along with her, he and E provides five students. The woman oldest, Prince Charles, is first-in range to succeed King Age II, and his awesome sons, Prince William, is actually 2nd in line. Charles’s young guy, Prince Harry, was 3rd in line to have most of their lives up until Prince William and you may girlfriend Catherine, new Duchess out of Cambridge, had the around three pupils, exactly who bumped Prince Harry right down to 6th in-line.
Brand new Lineages out of E and you can Philip
The latest royal categories of Europe seem to intermarried, each other to keep their royal bloodlines and also to uphold some harmony regarding fuel involving the individuals empires. Queen Elizabeth II and you may Prince Philip is actually each other pertaining to King Victoria. Age try a direct descendant of King Victoria, the lady great-great-granny. Functioning backwards over time, the latest link would be tracked:
- Elizabeth’s father is actually George VI (1895 in order to 1952). He ) into the 1925, and had two girl, Age II, and Little princess Margaret.
- George VI’s father is actually George V (1865 to help you 1936), Elizabeth’s parent. He partnered Mary from Teck (1867 so you’re able to 1953) from inside the 1893, a good German princess raised for the The united kingdomt.
- George V’s dad is actually Edward VII (1841 in order to 1910). Elizabeth’s higher-father. The guy hitched Alexandra regarding Denmark (1844 to 1925), good Danish little princess.
- Edward VII’s mom try King Victoria (1819 so you can 1901), Elizabeth’s higher-great-grandmother. She married Prince Albert from Saxe-Coburg and you can Gotha during the 1840.
- Philip’s mom, Princess Alice out of Battenberg (1885 in order to 1969), married their father, Prince Andrew regarding Greece and you will Denmark (1882 in order to 1944), when you look at the 1903.
- Princess Alice’s mommy was Little princess Victoria regarding Hesse by Rhine (1863 in order to 1950), Philip’s maternal granny. Princess Victoria try married so you can Prince Louis of Battenberg (1854 in order to 1921) from inside the 1884.
- Princess Victoria regarding Hesse by the fresh Rhine is the newest girl away from Little princess Alice of one’s British (1843 in order to 1878), Philip’s great-granny. Which Little princess Alice was married to help you Louis IV (1837 so you’re able to 1892), Huge Duke out-of Hesse and by the Rhine.
- Little princess Alice’s mother try King Victoria, Philip’s great-great-granny.
Until 2015, Queen Victoria is the new longest-ruling monarch on the reputation for The united kingdomt, new U.K., or The united kingdom. Queen Age exceeded that checklist off 63 many years and you can 216 days, towards the . Each other queens married princes of their own solutions, slightly apparently like suits, have been happy to help its reigning monarch spouses.
One another was indeed dedicated to their duties because monarch. In the event Victoria withdrew to have a time when mourning this lady partner’s as an alternative early and you may unforeseen death, she is actually a dynamic monarch, despite ill-health, until their passing. At the creating, Elizabeth, as well, could have been likewise effective.
One another passed down the crown a little unexpectedly. Victoria’s dad, who predeceased the girl, got about three earlier brothers ahead of him in series, none out-of who got students whom lasted to help you inherit new prize. Elizabeth’s dad turned into king only if his more mature aunt, Queen Edward, abdicated when he would not was indeed capable get married the woman the guy picked and stay queen.
Victoria and you may E one another well-known Diamond Jubilees, but immediately following 50 years to the throne, Victoria was at ill health along with not all decades leftover to reside. Age, in contrast, will continue to take care of a public agenda immediately after a 1 / 2-millennium out of code. On Victoria’s jubilee affair during the 1897, The united kingdom you certainly will rightfully claim to be one particular principal empire in the world, with territories worldwide. Twenty-first-100 years The uk, in contrast, try a significantly-decreased energy, with relinquished almost all of the empire.